Wednesday 15 August 2012

Maria Calls -Poem (First Draft)

Last night I got a call,
it was Maria, calling from the hospital,
she’s a nurse,
she told me a guy has had a car accident
fractured his spine, he’s 25,
he’ll never walk again.
            He already wants to die.

I said nothing, I had no thing
                                              to say.
Maria asked
would you want to die if this were you?

I couldn’t answer.

Maria said
when we last spoke
you said the best thing about your life
is the way you think?

Yes, I said.

Well the guy in the accident, he’s perfectly conscious,
what does that say about life
     if consciousness isn’t enough?
                 ............................
I said nothing,
            
                              I couldn’t think.

No comments:

Post a Comment